Barclaycard has launched a new premium credit card, available only to existing US Airways World Elite MasterCard holders as an upgrade. The card is not open to new applications, but is meant to entice current users to continue to use their credit cards to their fullest potential throughout the merger process, and until Barclaycard looses the relationship between US Airways/American Airlines post-merger, where Citi will retain the sole relationship.
There are two cards available for upgrade: The AAdvantage Aviator Silver and the AAdvantage Aviator Red
AAdvantage Aviator Silver
- Annual Fee is $195 (waived the first year)
- Earn 3x miles on US Airways and American purchases, 2x miles on hotels and car rentals and 1x on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 EQM miles for each $20,000 in annual purchases (10,000 maximum EQMs per year)
- Your first checked bag free for you and up to 8 of your traveling companions
- You’ll get 10% of your redeemed miles back up to 10,000 miles per year
- You’ll get a companion certificate each year good for up to 2 guests at $99 each with $30,000 in purchases by your account anniversary (plus taxes and fees)
- The card is chip-enabled for global use
- Premium Servicing with US-based customer service
- MasterCard World Elite Concierge and Luxury Travel Benefits
- Onboard benefits such as priority boarding and 25% in-flight savings on food, beverage and headsets.
AAdvantage Aviator Red
- Annual Fee is $89
- Earn 2x miles on US Airways and American purchases, 1x miles on hotels and car rentals and 1x on all other purchases.
- Your first checked bag free for you and up to 4 traveling companions
- You’ll receive priority boarding
- 10% of your redeemed miles back up to 10,000 miles per year
- $100 flight discount each year with $30,000 in annual purchases
- 25% in-flight savings on food, beverage and headsets
- Chip-enabled for global use
- MasterCard World Elite Concierge and Luxury Travel Benefits.
It appears as if upgrade/transfer offers are going out now, so if you don’t receive an offer, hang tight.
Hat Tip: The Points Guy
Looking for the best way to earn miles and points quickly? Visit the "Credit Cards" drop down on the main menu bar above for the hottest deals! Want to learn more and stay up to date on the latest tips, tricks and deals? Join My Travel Tips Facebook Page! This site is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CreditCards.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.