Amtrak is a convenient way of shuttling up and down the northeast corridor, with downtown to downtown service. While most trains offer a Business Class service, you should know that not all Amtrak business class services are the same.
Interestingly, Amtrak runs 3 types of Business Class services in the Northeast Corridor:
- Amtrak Acela Express Business Class
- Amtrak’s Northeast Regional 2×2 Business Class
- Amtrak’s Amfleet Dinette 2×1 Business Class
In this specific post, I’ll be covering what’s considered the best Amtrak seating layout: The Amfleet Dinette.
While the Acela Business Class and Northeast Regional Business class do have a bit of extra legroom, the Amulet Dinette is Amtrak’s little secret – and offered a totally different type of seat.
The Amfleet Dinette is only found on certain train numbers, and the concept is simple: Half of the Cafe car is used as Cafe seating, the other half is 2×1 Business Class seating.
Here, you’ll see the one half – Cafe car seating for use by the entire train.
On the other half, you’ll find Business Class.
Notice that these seats are in a 2×1 layout, halve more legroom, and also have footrests. In addition, the seats recline way more than the average seat, and an included leg rest pops out, nearly mimicking a angled flat business class seat on a major airline.
Included with your ticket is complimentary non-alcoholic beverages (which are steps away thanks to this seating being in the Cafe car) and newspaper. Sure, it’s not like an airline service, but for Amtrak, it’s the best of what’s there.
You won’t find these on every Amtrak train, and certainly won’t find them on the pricier Acela Express.
What trains offer this deluxe business class?
- 54/55-56/57 – the Vermonter, serving Washington DC to St. Albans, VT and intermediate stations
- 66/67 – the overnight Northeast Regional, serving Newport News, VA to Boston, MA and intermediate stations
- 42/43/44 – the Pennsylvanian, serving Pittsburgh, PA to New York, NY and intermediate stations
- 89/90 – the Palmetto, serving Savannah, GA to New York, NY and intermediate stations
The Easiest Way to Upgrade on Amtrak
- 20,000 bonus points offer.
It’s time to be rewarded. 20,000 bonus points can be yours after you spend at least $1,000 in purchases within 90 days of account opening.
- Earn 3 Amtrak Guest Rewards points for every $1 you spend on Amtrak travel, including onboard purchases.
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on other qualifying travel.
- Earn 1 point for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Get a 5% Amtrak Guest Rewards point rebate when you book your Amtrak redemption travel.
- Earn 1,000 Tier Qualifying Points (TQPs) toward earning status each time your eligible spending reaches $5,000 in a calendar year, up to 4,000 TQPs per year.
- Enjoy a complimentary Companion Coupon, One-Class Upgrade and a single-day ClubAcela pass for access to ClubAcela, Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge or First class lounges upon account opening. Plus, each year you’ll receive a Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade when you renew your card membership.
- There’s no limit to how many points you can earn and you can use them when you want. Your points will not expire as long as you are a cardholder and your account is open.
Remember, you’ll get a companion coupon and one-class upgrade every year, which is HUGE value.
To get the card with this best available offer, click here. Below the cards you see, click “Show More Results” until you see the Amtrak Guest Rewards credit card. This best available offer is only available on The Forward Cabin.
The Best Way to Save on Travel
If you haven’t considered before, I highly recommend enrolling in Founder’s Card, which gets you a ton of travel discounts:
- 20% off Virgin Atlantic tickets to the UK, originating in the US or Canada, plus complimentary Flying Club Silver Elite status after just one flight.
- 5-25% off Cathay Pacific flights, plus complimentary Marco Polo Silver Tier status.
- 5-10% off most Virgin America fares.
- Up to 10% British Airways flights originating in the US, UK, or Canada.
- Save between 8-20% on Qantas flights from the US to either Australia or New Zealand.
- 5-10% off Emirates flights originating in the US.
- Up to 14% off Singapore Airlines flights, originating in the US.
- Complimentary Hilton Gold status, and Caesar’s Total Rewards Diamond status. Also, complimentary Marriott Gold status.
- Complimentary Avis Preferred Plus status, and Hertz Five Star membership (and 15% off rentals!)
Looking for the best way to earn miles and points quickly? Visit the "Credit Cards" drop down on the main menu bar above for the hottest deals!Want to learn more and stay up to date on the latest tips, tricks and deals? Join My Travel Tips Facebook Page! This site is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CreditCards.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.