American is in the processing of brining back a buy up or renew option for AAdvantage elite status, according to View from the Wing.
With this you’ll either be able to buy-up to your next AAdvantage tier, in increments of either 5,000, 10,000 or 15,000 elite qualifying miles, or be able to renew your current status for another year. In either case, the price isn’t going to be cheap, and you’ll probably be better off mileage running to secure your status.
Here’s what we know (or very strongly speculate, at least):
- There will be two options: Renew – customers who held elite status in 2014, but did not requalify for their current elite status level; Boost – customers who ended 2014 close to qualifying for the next higher elite status level
- Elite status obtained through this offer will be valid through February 29, 2016. If the customer is purchasing a higher elite status than is currently held, their new elite status will be effective within 5 business days from purchase. For customers purchasing status that is the same as or lower than what is currently held, their new status will take effect on March 1, 2015.
- The option to “boost” or “renew” elite status will be available through July 31, 2015.
In any event, it appears American Airlines has launched their buy-up offer website, whereby AAdvantage members can enter their AAdvantage number and password to receive a targeted offer for them.
When I logged into the website and entered my information, unfortunately, I was not given a buy-up option.
As a point of reference, I am a current AAdvantage Platinum with approximately 60,000 elite qualifying miles – nowhere within the maximum 15,000 elite qualifying mile range to benefit from bumping up to Executive Platinum (I’ll earn this “the hard way” this year via mileage running). So, I’m not surprised I wasn’t targeted…but some of you can be, and depending on your circumstances, you may benefit from paying for such a bump.
Here’s the folks who will most likely benefit from the bump:
- People within 15,000 elite qualifying miles of desired status who want the status as soon as possible (it will take effect within 5 days).
- People within 15,000 elite qualifying miles of a desired status who don’t have time between now and the end of the year to mileage run to earn the necessary elite qualifying miles.
You can access American’s buy-up offer page here to see if you were targeted for an offer.
Where you targeted for a buy-up offer? If so, for how much?
Looking for the best way to earn miles and points quickly? Visit the "Credit Cards" drop down on the main menu bar above for the hottest deals!Want to learn more and stay up to date on the latest tips, tricks and deals? Join My Travel Tips Facebook Page! This site is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CreditCards.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.