We’d all love to hold airline status, since it allows us to avoid many fees, sit in those big comfy seats up front, and board the aircraft first.
There’s an easy way to get airline elite status on your preferred airline of choice – it involves status matching. Essentially, if you hold status on one airline, then you may be able to duplicate that status on another airline.
Recently, I did a status match from Delta Airlines, over to American…and I don’t regret it for a second.
- Show that you have elite status on another airline, and Alaska will match you to their respective tier.
- No mileage requirements or co-pays.
- Can only be done once per lifetime.
- Send a copy of your account statement, driver’s license or passport, and elite level card from another carrier to email@example.com.
- If requested prior to November 1, status is good until the immediate February. If requested after, it is good the entire following year.
- MVP Gold 75K elite status is matchable as of October 2014.
- Does not offer an outright match; only offers a challenge.
- The challenge is completed by earning points, and not on how far you fly (miles). You must earn 5,000 points for Gold, and 10,000 for Platinum.
- Executive Platinum status is not challengeable.
- Current prices are $100 for a Gold Match, and $200 for a Platinum match.
- To ask about a challenge from your current carrier, call 1-800-882-8880.
Delta Air Lines
- Status is given upon acceptance to the match.
- Only once per lifetime.
- Diamond Medallion status is not matchable.
- Earning status is based on Medallion Qualifying Miles or Medallion Qualifying Segments.
- Status is earned until the immediate February.
- Status is granted upon acceptance to the match.
- Participant must fly on either United or Copa to qualify, and status is earned based on mileage flown or segments flown within 90 days.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to qualify and participate.
- No fees are required to participate.
- 1K status is not matchable.
- If people have asked for a status match with either United or Continental in the past five years, they do not qualify for a status match.
- Offers a buy-in trial program, where status is granted for a fee. It costs $200 to make a run for Silver, $400 for Gold, and $600 for Platinum.
- The requirements in place include a trial period of 90 days flying 7,500 miles or ten segments for Silver; 15,000 miles or 20 segments for Gold; 22,500 miles or 30 segments for Platinum; or 30,000 miles or 40 segments for top-tier Chairman’s Preferred.
- You can purchase a lower tier status upfront, and earn a higher tier status based on the miles flown.
- Status match is open to anyone, regardless if they have a status with another airline.
Looking for the best way to earn miles and points quickly? Visit the "Credit Cards" drop down on the main menu bar above for the hottest deals!Want to learn more and stay up to date on the latest tips, tricks and deals? Join My Travel Tips Facebook Page! This site is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CreditCards.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.