One of my favorite ways to get from the US to London is via a daytime flight – a flight that leaves the US early in the morning, and arrives in London late in the evening. While the trip does consume an entire day, for some, it’s a way to help beat jet-lag. Arriving into London during the late evening, allows you to check-in at your hotel, get a decent night of sleep in a bed without turbulence and wake up refreshed ready for work or play.
Unfortunately, the only daytime flight options to Europe from the US are to London, though from London, it’s easy enough to connect onward to further destinations.
Let’s take a look at the options (flight times are subject to change):
BA 178 Departing New York, NY (JFK) at 7:55 am, Arriving at London (LHR – Heathrow) at 7:45 pm
BA 238 Departing Boston, MA (BOS) at 7:50 am, Arriving at London (LHR – Heathrow) at 7:25 pm
VS 26 Departing New York, NY (JFK) at 8:05 am, Arriving at London (LHR – Heathrow) at 8:10 pm
Want to save 20% on flights to the UK departing from the US or Canada? Click here to enroll in a program that will get you 20% off tickets departing the US and Canada, as well as Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Silver Elite Status after just one flight.
UA 934 Departing Newark, NJ (EWR – Liberty) at 8:20 am, Arriving at London (LHR – Heathrow) at 8:40 pm
UA 122 Departing Washington, DC (IAD – Dulles) at 8:30 am, Arriving at London (LHR – Heathrow) at 8:55 pm
AA 142 Departing New York, NY (JFK) at 10:00 am, Arriving at London (LHR – Heathrow) at 10:10 pm
AA 90 Departing Chicago, IL (ORD – O Hare International) at 9:00 am, Arriving at London (LHR – Heathrow) at 10:45 pm
If you spend $5,000 or more on American Airlines a year, you could be receiving a free one-way domestic First Class flight within the US, all for just enrolling in the Business Extra program. If you’re new to Business Extra, you’ll receive 650 points after your first flight, which is good for a one-way domestic First Class upgrade certificate. Click here to enroll in the program which gets you these benefits through Business Extra.
Unless you’re traveling from the west coast, most of these departures allow an early morning departure from another city with arrival into the gateway city in-time for the daytime flight departure, which is really nice.
What are the advantages of a daytime US to Europe flight?
- Usually these flights are less crowded, allowing more room to upgrade.
- You arrive in the evening, enough time to head to your hotel to sleep. Also, by traveling to London, from the east coast of the US, you only experience a 5 hour time-change vs. the traditional 6 hours on mainland Europe.
What are the disadvantages of a daytime US to Europe flight?
- With the jet lag, you may end up wanting to stay up late into the night and not get to sleep at your hotel.
- If flights depart the US late, they risk getting canceled due to London’s nighttime noise restriction on flights.
- If you are connecting to another European city, your options may be limited depending on what time your flight from the US arrives. You will most likely have to stay the night near Heathrow and depart the next morning, though this should help recover from some of the jet lag.
- If there is no WiFi on the flight, you may lose a day of productivity and connectivity.
Looking for the best way to earn miles and points quickly? Visit the "Credit Cards" drop down on the main menu bar above for the hottest deals!Want to learn more and stay up to date on the latest tips, tricks and deals? Join My Travel Tips Facebook Page! This site is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CreditCards.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.