American and Qantas recently announced an expanded partnership with flights to Australia from the United States.
- American will add a once-daily Los Angeles to Sydney flight
- Qantas will add a 5x weekly, increasing to 6x weekly Sydney to San Fransisco flight
Ordinarily, Qantas and British Airways members have the leg up with access to award availability, since they have approximately 30 days extra time before the space is available for American Airlines AAdvantage members to book. However, because Qantas is adding the Sydney to San Fransisco flight, and it’s new to the schedule, space is available to all oneworld partners at the same time, which is making for some readily available Business Class awards that otherwise wouldn’t be as available. Service to SFO begins December 18.
The flights to and from Sydney are operated by a 747, with a Business cabin, Premium Economy cabin and Economy Class. I’ve reviewed the Business product from New York to Los Angeles as well as Los Angeles to Brisbane.
I picked a sampling of dates in 2016 to try out. In addition to these, there’s plenty of others available, from what I can see.
San Fransisco to Sydney – Leaves 11:25p, arrives 7a (+ 2 days)
On April 10, there’s 2 Business Class (“U”) seats to Sydney.
March 15th also returns 2 Business seats as well.
Sydney to San Fransisco – Leaves at 3:00p, arrives 9:30a (same day)
March 15 returns 2 Business seats.
Also April 12.
The cost, each-way, is 62,500 and approximately $5 in taxes. For myself, a few weeks ago, I was able to find a LAX-SYD flight in First, and was now able to find a return via San Fransisco.
- Currently, it appears as if the non-stop San Fransisco to Sydney and Sydney to San Fransisco flights are not viewable on AA.com, however a call into reservations will find the space.
- Not every day has space, though there is a decent amount of it onwards starting December 18. For many days, there are 2 seats (that’s the maximum I’ve seen), though a fair amount with one as well.
- Once you cancel a Qantas award seat, the trend is that it is usually placed back into award inventory, so be careful when canceling reservations.
Have you been able to book an award flight from San Fransisco to Sydney or vice versa?
Looking for the best way to earn miles and points quickly? Visit the "Credit Cards" drop down on the main menu bar above for the hottest deals!Want to learn more and stay up to date on the latest tips, tricks and deals? Join My Travel Tips Facebook Page! This site is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CreditCards.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.