Each year, most hotel chains conduct an annual review of their hotels and what award category they place those hotels under. In most senses, the award category a hotel is assigned to is based on demand and average price of rooms, though these conditions don’t always correlate.
According to Hyatt, In total, 56 hotels will shift to a lower award category, and 50 hotels will move to a higher award category. The changes will become effective as of 12:01am CST on August 1, 2016.
Here are the hotels moving UP a category.
|HOTEL NAME||Current Award Category||New Award Category|
|Hyatt House Dallas/Frisco||1||2|
|Hyatt House Dallas/Lincoln Park||1||2|
|Hyatt House Dallas/Uptown||1||2|
|Hyatt House Denver/Lakewood at Belmar||1||2|
|Hyatt Place Augusta||1||2|
|Hyatt Place Buffalo/Amherst||1||2|
|Hyatt Place Champaign||1||2|
|Hyatt Place Corpus Christi||1||2|
|Hyatt Place Dallas/Grapevine||1||2|
|Hyatt Place Nashville/Franklin/Cool Springs||1||2|
|Hyatt Place Nashville/Hendersonville||1||2|
|Hyatt Place North Charleston||1||2|
|Hyatt Place Sacramento/Roseville||1||2|
|Hyatt Place Salt Lake City Airport||1||2|
|Hyatt Place Santiago/Vitacura||1||2|
|Hyatt Place Savannah Airport||1||2|
|Hyatt Regency Suites Atlanta Northwest||1||2|
|Hyatt Place Asheville Downtown||1||3|
|Grand Hyatt Amman||2||3|
|Grand Hyatt Chengdu||2||3|
|Grand Hyatt Incheon||2||3|
|Grand Hyatt Santiago||2||3|
|Hyatt House Atlanta/Downtown||2||3|
|Hyatt House Belmont/Redwood Shores||2||3|
|Hyatt House Boston/Waltham||2||3|
|Hyatt House Emeryville/San Francisco Bay Area||2||3|
|Hyatt House Falls Church/Merrifield||2||3|
|Hyatt House Naples/5th Avenue||2||3|
|Hyatt House Pleasanton||2||3|
|Hyatt House San Diego/Sorrento Mesa||2||3|
|Hyatt House San Juan||2||3|
|Hyatt House Santa Clara||2||3|
|Hyatt Place Chicago South University||2||3|
|Hyatt Place Fort Worth Historic Stockyards||2||3|
|Hyatt Place Garden City||2||3|
|Hyatt Place Houston/The Woodlands||2||3|
|Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun||2||3|
|Hyatt Place Portland Airport||2||3|
|Hyatt Place San Juan/City Center||2||3|
|Hyatt Regency Dallas||2||3|
|Hyatt Regency SF Airport||2||3|
|Grand Hyatt DFW||3||4|
|Hyatt Place Dewey Beach||3||4|
|Hyatt Place Nashville Downtown||3||4|
|Hyatt Regency McCormick Place||3||4|
|Hyatt Centric Park City 4 5 4 5 4 5 4 5||4||5|
|Hyatt Centric The Loop Chicago||4||5|
|Hyatt Regency Jersey City on the Hudson||4||5|
|Hyatt Regency San Francisco||4||5|
Moving up a category, here are what I think are the biggest changes.
- Grand Hyatt Santiago – I’ve heard great things about this property, and it’s moving from a category 2 to 3.
- Hyatt Place Asheville Downtown – I haven’t stayed here before, but am curious as to why this is moving from a category 1 to 3.
- Grand Hyatt DFW – Personally, I think this hotel was already overpriced, and now with the award change, it’s going to shift even more demand to the Hyatt Regency, which is a category 2. I worry rates there may go up.
- Hyatt Centric The Loop Chicago – moving from a category 4 to 5.
- Hyatt Regency Dallas – moving from a category 2 to 3. I actually like this hotel – the rooms are modern, and it’s in a decent location.
Interestingly, most of the hotels moving up here appear to be Hyatt Place or Hyatt House properties.
Here are the hotels moving DOWN a category.
|HOTEL NAME||Current Award Category||New Award Category|
|Hyatt House Gaithersburg||2||1|
|Hyatt House Mt. Laurel||2||1|
|Hyatt Place Ciudad del Carmen||2||1|
|Hyatt Place Dallas/Arlington/Grand Prairie||2||1|
|Hyatt Place El Paso Airport||2||1|
|Hyatt Place Fredericksburg UMW||2||1|
|Hyatt Place La Paz||2||1|
|Hyatt Place Los Cabos||2||1|
|Hyatt Place Mt. Laurel||2||1|
|Hyatt Place Phoenix Chandler-Fashion Center||2||1|
|Hyatt Place Phoenix/Gilbert||2||1|
|Hyatt Place Phoenix-Mesa||2||1|
|Hyatt Place Pittsburgh Airport||2||1|
|Hyatt Place Pittsburgh/Cranberry||2||1|
|Hyatt Place San Antonio North/Stone Oak||2||1|
|Hyatt Place Tempe/Phoenix Airport||2||1|
|Hyatt Regency Ahmedabad||2||1|
|Hyatt Regency Chandigarh||2||1|
|Hyatt Regency Changchun||2||1|
|Hyatt Regency Chennai||2||1|
|Hyatt Regency Chongqing||2||1|
|Hyatt Regency Dulles||2||1|
|Hyatt Regency Fairfax||2||1|
|Hyatt Regency Guiyang||2||1|
|Hyatt Regency Gurgaon||2||1|
|Hyatt Regency Kolkata||2||1|
|Hyatt Regency Ludhiana||2||1|
|Hyatt Rege ncy Tianjin East||2||1|
|Park Hyatt Chennai||2||1|
|Hyatt Place Secaucus/Meadowlands||3||2|
|Hyatt Regency Belgrade||3||2|
|Hyatt Regency Delhi||3||2|
|Hyatt Regency Ekaterinburg||3||2|
|Hyatt Regency Mumbai||3||2|
|Hyatt Regency Pune||3||2|
|Hyatt Regency Qingdao||3||2|
|Hyatt Regency Thessaloniki||3||2|
|Park Hyatt Hyderabad||3||2|
|Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur||4||3|
|Grand Hyatt Lijiang||4||3|
|Grand Hyatt Mumbai||4||3|
|Hyatt Regency Baku||4||3|
|Hyatt Regency Changbaishan||4||3|
|Hyatt Regency Houston/Galleria||4||3|
|Hyatt Regency Perth||4||3|
|Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort||4||3|
|Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort||5||4|
|Hyatt Regency Sochi||5||4|
|Hyatt Centric South Beach Miami||6||4|
Moving down a category, here are what I think are the biggest changes.
- Okay, this one is personal, but I’m thrilled the Hyatt House Gaithersburg is now a category 1. I spend a lot of time there, and used to do a lot of Points and Cash availability. Now at only 5,000 points for a free night, it will make this property a steal for me.
- Hyatt Place Phoenix/Mesa – good location. Now a category 1.
- Hyatt Place Tempe/PHX – good location. Now a category 1.
- Hyatt Regency Dulles – best location of Hyatt’s near IAD, which I travel out of a lot. Nice to see this will join all the other Hyatt Place properties in the area.
- Hyatt Regency Perth – I recently stayed here and I certainly didn’t think this was a category 4 hotel, so nice to see it moving down to a more reasonable level.
- Hyatt Centric South Beach Miami – moving from a category 6 to 4, finally this hotel will become reasonable to spend points on. Nice hotel, nice location, but a bit sketchy on status recognition.
Looking for the best way to earn miles and points quickly? Visit the "Credit Cards" drop down on the main menu bar above for the hottest deals!Want to learn more and stay up to date on the latest tips, tricks and deals? Join My Travel Tips Facebook Page! This site is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CreditCards.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.