American offers a “Light Bites” meal service on medium haul routes that don’t fall within traditional meal windows (lunch ending at around 2:30p, with dinner beginning at 4p and ending at 8p).
This Light Bites offering used to be in the form of a pre-packaged sandwich, which was fairly quickly eliminated after rampant negative customer feedback.
As a reminder, here’s what to expect on mainline flights (from FlyerTalk):
- Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
- 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
- 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
- 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
- 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts
The current Light Bites window for flights ends at 9p, but will now be pushed forward to 10p.
Light Bites is a First Class snack service offered outside of traditional meal windows on shorter haul flights. Thanks to flight attendant and customer feedback, we are extending the PM Light Bites by an hour on medium haul flights (1299-2299 miles, approximately 3.5-4.5 hours block time) from 2100 to 2200. Nut and cookie service begins at 2200.
A positive change for frequent flyers who miss the dinner window on departures after 8p. Now, with the extension to 10p, medium haul flights will at least get a small, plated snack.
Looking for the best way to earn miles and points quickly? Visit the "Credit Cards" drop down on the main menu bar above for the hottest deals! Want to learn more and stay up to date on the latest tips, tricks and deals? Join My Travel Tips Facebook Page! This site is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CreditCards.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.