There’s a few new benefits and updates to the American Express Platinum card:
- The fee will increase from $450 to $550 on March 30. Apply now and you’ll only pay the $450 fee this year.
- Hotels booked through Amex Travel (not directly with the hotel) will earn 5x points.
- The Amex Platinum card will turn into a metal card, instead of the current plastic version.
- Each month out of the year will receive $15 in Uber credits. December will feature $35 in credits. In addition, Platinum card holders will be upgraded to Uber VIP status, allowing them to access better drivers in select cities.
- Other benefits will not change. You’ll still receive access to Centurion Lounges, Priority Pass membership, 5x points on airfare and more.
Personally, I don’t find any of these changes to be worth the $100 increase in fee. I really wish the 5x on hotels were valid on stays booked directly with the hotel itself, and better matched the Chase Sapphire Reserve.
To apply for the Platinum Card from American Express, hover over the credit cards tab above and click on Travel cards.
Looking for the best way to earn miles and points quickly? Visit the "Credit Cards" drop down on the main menu bar above for the hottest deals! Want to learn more and stay up to date on the latest tips, tricks and deals? Join My Travel Tips Facebook Page! This site is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CreditCards.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.